Wednesday 10 March 2010

Nomar Garciaparra retire as a Red Sox Wednesday



Nomar retired as a member of the Boston Red Sox.
During a news conference with Red Sox President and general manager at City of Palms Park in Fort Myers, Nomar announced he signed a one-day minor-league deal with the Red Sox so he could retire with the team he broke in with in 1996.
Garciaparra, 36, has played for the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Oakland A's in recent seasons.
He said at a news conference in Fort Myers "My tank's empty."
I think last time I was in Boston when the Oakland A's came to town (last season) . . . I was talking about always having a recurring dream to be able to retire in a Red Sox uniform. I want to thank Mr. Werner, John Henry, Mr. Lucchino, and Theo, and the Red Sox organization, because today I get to retire and fulfill that dream and retire as a Red Sock.
"Earlier today, I did sign a minor-league contract to be part of this organization once again. I was getting choked up then, I'm choked up now, and I've got the chills.







"But to be able to have that dream come true, I just can't put it into words what this organization has always meant to me. It's my family, the fans - I always tell people Red Sox Nation is bigger than any nation out there. I came back home, and to be part of Red Sox Nation is truly a thrill.
Nomar was a fan favorite early in his career and seemed destined to be a Red Sox for life before difficult contract negotiations created a rift between Garciaparra, Red Sox brass and even some Boston fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment